Monday, March 23, 2009

OFW Success Stories


Jocy (center) with Sajith Arayadath, an Indian national (Left) and a european Safety Officer


Editor’s note: Jocelyn Millares is a lady from the Visayas region and married to a Bicolano. Incidentally the editor had a stint of working with her at the Safety Department of the Joint Venture New Doha International Airport (JV-NDIA) construction during its reclamation phase. This feature is a ‘reporter’s notebook’ featured on the OFW Guide website citing her as one of the remarkable Overseas Filipina Workers. The editor believes that OFWs have better chances of fair treatment and even due recognition in the construction industry rather than in the domestic help job. While the editor was deploying workers to the 22 square kilometer project site, Jocelyn assists him in their safety induction and provide Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs). The editor has been the Project Site Coordinator of the said site after having been elevated from being a Secretary upon 4 days of assuming the applied job when he left the country.


When did you arrive in your current location?

I arrived in Doha last November 29, 2004, as a Secretary in a fitness gym. It was my first time to work abroad so I have big dreams for my family although at that time my salary was only $400. I have a happy-go-lucky personality, they say that I'm very transparent, sometimes tactless, but with a good sense of humor too. With regards to my work, I haven't received any complaint as I am fast-learner and also well-conversant in English. The gym that I used to work is owned by a Sheikh, they don't like my personality so, in short, after only 1 month of stay there, I was terminated & they really wanted to send me back to the Philippines. I cried and begged to give me a chance to transfer to other companies as my family is depending on me. At last, they gave me eight (8) days to find another company to transfer my sponsorship otherwise I don't have any choice but to go back to Philippines. Eight (8) days was a very short period of time to find another job in Qatar. It was really a devastating reality for me...


Tell us what has happened during your stay in this country you have worked in.

It was those times that I cried and prayed to the good LORD 'Lord have mercy upon me give me another job, don't let me go back to the Philippines and be a loser again'. Before I go to Qatar I have debt of P80,000.00 because every year I borrow money for the tuition fee of my 2 children.

I went to seek the help of Philippine Overseas Labor Office (POLO). There I found several employers looking for Secretaries, and truly when GOD closes the door, he opens a very big window. I was terminated at the Gym last January 11 and in January 15, I started my job in the Joint Venture New Doha International Airport Project. A very big project indeed!

JV NDIA is a joint venture of four (4) biggest dredging companies making the platform of the New Doha International Airport. I'm presently working there as a Secretary in the Safety Department. Dredging company is basically a men's world. In our company, there are only 10 ladies versus 600 men working on the land site and on the water side.


What were your most memorable moments in your current location?

My most memorable experience is during those times that I have to assist my boss in our daily Safety Induction because everyday before each worker will go on the site, we have to give induction for them to know the safety procedures like wearing the basic PPE such as helmet, high visibility vest, safety goggles, and safety shoes. Sometimes, my boss is irritated that the entire people are looking at me instead of listening to him! But I think it's also a good advantage having a lady in the safety department because I can arrange my store room very neatly and the people, especially men listen to a lady rather than men. Ladies usually have our own charm and people in the Middle East admire ladies who are dynamic and smart because here, ladies usually are second-class citizens, they usually stayed in their homes and can't deal in a working environment such as this..


What are the things that you miss about the Philippines?

The thing that i miss in the Philippines is my family. I miss having a nice family get-together like watching movies or going to the park or mall. I also miss my mom very much. She died while I was here in Qatar. It's so sad that before I go, she gave me nice hug and kisses, not knowing that it will be our last moment together...


What is your message to all OFWs around the world?

To all my fellow OFW: just keep on working very hard to impress our boss. Let's prove to them that we are not only good in work but we are also honest and we have perseverance in any kind of job. I know that we are not doing it only for ourselves but for the rest of our family. We want to give brighter future for our children...With the help of our Almighty GOD, success is very easy to achieve...

No comments:

Post a Comment